Wednesday, February 10, 2010

An artists whose work I really enjoy is Lucia Ganieva. She is a Russian photographer that lives and works in the Netherlands. Most of her photographs are portraits. Most of these portraits are people in their natural habitat. These photographs really grabbed my attention because I love to take these kind of photographs.
I've always been very curious about people, and what it is that makes us all different. I've always been intrigued by these differences and by how different other people's lives look from an outsider's perspective. For me, portraits are a great way of exploring these differences. I've always had a habit of staring. I stare at people and I ask questions,
Where do they come from?
Why do they look the way they do?
Where are they going from here?
Where do they live?
What do they do there?
I've always wished I could be a fly on the wall, to follow different people around and see what they're all about. Especially people from completely different backgrounds than myself. This is what Lucia Ganieva's portraits do for me, provide a window into her subject's lives. She has an amazing way of representing the character and the situation of the people that she's photographing.

http://www.luciaganieva.com/frame.php?catId=17362
Her photographs called "Abi" are all of women standing in similar backgrounds with similar clothing. Although these scenes look very similar, but upon further investigation, they all began to differentiate. All of these women have different facial expressions and posture. Lucia Ganieva really captured their character in these photographs. Putting them in similar backgrounds with similar clothes helped me to see the dissimilarities which attested to their individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment