Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I chose to blog about Ute Behrend because her diptychs are my favorite from what I've seen. I would like to be able to use some of the same ideas for my own project 2.
She writes:
‘Fairy tales are more than children’s stories… they reveal fundamental truths and wisdom. If there is a collective unconscious, then fairy tales are surely firmly grounded in it and whoever is prepared to get involved with them can find them everywhere, knowing full well that everything will always end well.

Ute Behrend's diptychs have a very beautiful and surreal quality. They remind me of a dream because they seem to be a hazy or incomplete memory. A lot of her photographs evoke a fantasy world, like a fairy tale. I personally would relate these photographs more to a dream than a fairy tale. The diptychs are so strong because they reference each other. While they are still pretty vague, they complete each other to make one strong visual image. I absolutely love the softness that she achieves in these photographs. There is also an old-timey quality that I love.

http://www.utebehrend.de/small_silent_city.html?page=4
I love the images in her series, "Small Silent City". I especially love the ones that have children in them. To me, these are the ones that are strongest because I love the idea of these diptychs being representations of childhood dreams. Thats what I see when I look at these images. It almost makes me remember those faint memories of how I saw things when I was a child and how I dreamed about them. The children almost give these photographs an innocence that translates to the other pannel. Its like you're seeing it through the eyes of a child. I love how the color ranges relate as well.
I think these diptychs are extremely successful. I would hang them all over my house if I could afford to buy them all. They are so beautiful not just because of their content, but they are visually stunning as well.

1 comment:

  1. Well discussed. You can certainly hang your own work around your house. And I hope you do!

    ReplyDelete